Wednesday, August 8, 2012

2012 USK SDQ Symposium V

V Improvising with line and color: The Urban Sketcher as a Storyteller
Instructors: Orling Dominguez and Inma Serrano

This is a really interesting workshop, you kinda have to put all the techniques you learned in previous 4 together. Here are the 3 steps that taking you into the "Orling & Inma illustration world":

1. Yes, again, starts with thumbnails:


















The two little dominican brothers are in everyone's drawing that day. They are walking around and ask to be sketched. :)


2. Put your stories together, even includes some thumbnails.





















I started with the Columbus statue on the top left and walked around decided to go with the side view of the statue so that I can draw the beautiful dome in the back. Inma suggested with the people in front of me and make them bigger, so the whole drawing would look more layers and more diminutional. The 2 thumbnails on the bottom are suggested by Orling. I like the result a lot. Took me about 45 mins to finish it.


3. Add some colors and words in your drawing. Don't write your thought or words after, make it part of your drawing.

We had like a little less then 40 mins to draw this assignment. I immediately know that I won't be able to finish a cathedral or something too complicated. So I look around and see the faces on the cathedral gate, so was thinking if I can put them in the drawing will be pretty awesome. 

Here is how it looks like:

















The closer look:







Here are some results of the workshops, everyone has their unique way of seeing the scene. It's interesting and very inspiring.



















SDQ USK news:
We made it to the Dominican Republic local TV!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment