Monday, August 6, 2012

2012 USK SDQ Symposium III

III Architecture: Personal Viewpoints with Frank Ching and Liz Steel

The plan was draw at the back of the Cathedral Santa Maria then go inside to try the gorgeous ceiling. I was a bit overwhelmed with the gigantic architecture and have no idea where should I start. I just used my comfortable ink pen and started with the outlines shape of the cathedral, couldn't resist to joggle back to the details sometimes....  


Here is the result :
















Frank's suggestions: try to see your subject as 3 dimensional. (mine is very 2D looking) Liz: draw from the top and with the outside shape, then the details. 


Everyone's work:















Everybody was so into it and some people were even do 2 or 3, very quick and with vivid color, too. Awesome! we only have a little time to go inside the cathedral.... 


I was having hard time drawing the cathedral, even Liz demonstrated it so well (you can see her notes in note 1note 2, and 3). She can do it like 10 secs and show you the perspectives, eye levels, etc... accurately. Unfortunately, we got kicked out by the security guard like 15 mins after we went in. I was unable to finished not even 1 drawing, but there are lots of good ones that posted at SDQ USK blog, if you are interested. 



I guess it does take a lot of practices and thinking to get the look and feel right within a short period of time. (more mathematically?) (I tried again the other days when I come back. I should say some tips does really help!)

No comments:

Post a Comment